This photo is post 1947, which is when the old Ward's Kipper House, immediately by the bridge on the left Cowbar side, was demolished. The stones from this building were used in 1947 to build a new retaining wall on Cowbar bank. The bridge was built 1906-7, and replaced a popular wooden trestle bridge, which fishermen used to tie their boats to. They also hung their nets over it to dry. This was not allowed on the new iron girder bridge in this photo.