I understand Roland Burdon M.P. loaned 90% of the money to build this bridge and the public raised the other 10% - approx £28,000. It was a toll bridge for pedestrians and carriages till 1845. I also heard that the centre dropped out of the middle of the bridge in 1805. Can anyone confirm this or add any more facts?