The High Light is dated 1808 and was designed by John Stokoe for Trinity House to assist the navigation of ships up the Tyne. It is constructed of painted Ashlar and brick. The house which adjoins to the right was built later in 1860. The Low Light was built in 1807 and stands in the centre of the North Shields fish quay. It was constructed of painted Ashlar, the adjoining structure was built in 1816.